Thursday, May 5, 2011

"One instinctively knows when something is right"

Dredged up from my memory is that tagline from an old TV ad for Croft Original Sherry. It came to mind whist I was watching the train circle around the layout at the Granite City train show on Saturday.
Z scale is right. Well, right for me anyway. Right.
What on earth does that mean?
All proponents of whatever scale they practice claim that their scale is "right" some even go so far as to claim their scale is perfect, citing all kinds of reasons and theories. For them, maybe their chosen scale is right. Some folks won't even consider that other scales have anything going for them.
All I know is I got a definite feeling that Z scale was right. It's not a feeling I've ever had with T scale (I like T scale for the reactions of the viewing public more than what I do with it)
As much as I like HO scale and as productive a modeller I am in the scale, Z feels different. I can't describe it.
In fact there's only one other scale that I've had this "rightness" feeling for and that's Gn15. You can't get more different than Z scale standard gauge than large scale narrow gauge. But both have tapped into certain attitudes to my modelling and my abilities to carry these attitudes out to a standard that I'm happy with. I'm not saying it leads to perfect modelling. Far from it. It's modelling that I'm happy with. I have several layouts in unfinished states because I didn't get that right feeling from the scale. Now with Z I've got it again, which is good, because it means I'll carry on and perhaps build "that layout", the one I've been trying to build all my life.

1 comment:

  1. While your remarks on T are just a tad disappointing, it's encouraging to know that Z Scale may be acquiring another skilled modeler in its ranks. Welcome!

    ReplyDelete