Saturday, April 30, 2011

Making an exhibition of myself

I am now returned (and recovered) from the Granite City Train show where a great time was had by all. Those of you who follow my other blogs know that I can't speak highly enough of the show. It's always a pleasure to attend and this year was no exception. Ed Olson, the organizer said that this was the most successful show to date and I can believe him. I came away from the show with a very sore throat which means I must have been talking a lot. I did a lot of explaining of the difference between Z and T.
We were sited next to an N scale layout so that made for a very effective demo for the punters of the relationship of the differing sizes of the scales.
After I arrived and set up I made a quick trip over to the Perrys Hobbies stand to see if he had any Z scale for sale he had one piece, a Micro Trains TTX flat car so I bought it and quickly added it to the layout. Luckily for my wallet Perry had left his Z scale cases at the shop.
When the doors opened it was relentless for about 5 of the 6 hours of the show. Talk, talk, talk. It was all a blur at times, especially the first couple of hours. I made my regular appearance on local station W-JON hopefully putting across a positive image of the hobby.
What can I say about the running of the layout.
Perfect. I can't say any better than that.
Here's some film of the layout running.

It ran like this for the whole six hours of the show. I would run the consist one way for an hour and then the other for an hour. It was perfect. I'm really really impressed with the running quality of this set. It certainly spurs me on to do a little more with Z.
I just want to close by once again giving out a big thanks to Ed Olson and the crew for putting the show on. It is always a great time.

6 comments:

  1. Definately a strong turnout, the place was packed! Neat video, and it's nice to hear the kid in the background saying "Wow!!!!".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ian,

    You're building whole layouts faster than I can build a structure! LOL! Really nice to see the layout in action. Makes me want to go out and by a Z gauge train!

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. But Tom; This layout doesn't have any structures. Well, not yet anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Tom, by all means, please join the Z ranks. It's great having folks jump in our little pool. C'mon, you know you want to, and the water's fine. You've seen what can be done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tom, I second what David says. I'm really enjoying the experience. I'm definitely taking things further.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pool is so small you won't even get your feet wet!

    ReplyDelete