Monday, April 25, 2011

the grass is greener... (Layout progess 4)

This week I booked the time off work to prepare both layouts for the Granite City Train show. With Gonou already working I can devote the time to completing the Knife River Bridge display.
A bit of ground cover first. Nothing too detailed yet. Some earth coloured Woodland scenics ground cover followed by a coating of a mixture of different greens. Kind of like an impressionist painting. All fixed in place with Woodland Scenics scenic cement.
So, onto that strange pastelly, fawny, browny streak in the middle where the Knife River should be. Hereabouts the Knife River is actually very shallow and beautifully crystal clear with lots of stones on the bed. So a deep blue is out of the question. My thought is to create a sort of impressionist painting (there's that phrase again) of the river bed. Then paint some gloss medium over that and then scatter some Woodland Scenics (there's that name again) Talus of varing sizes into that. Hopefully that should re-create the effect I'm after.

2 comments:

  1. Which layout are you taking to St. Cloud on Saturday? I'm planning to bring my produce warehouse along, on the off-chance that I can get it inside to show you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both layouts. So the great unwashed can see the difference in size between T and Z sale. I'll look forward to seeing the warehouse model. See you there.

    ReplyDelete