Saturday, April 16, 2011

Shopping (a bit of a soapbox)

Just got back from a day trip to St. Cloud, MN this morning the Minnesota MG group had an open house for the members being as I own a 76 MGB I went along to introduce myself. I showed them pictures of my baby. Which they were all very nice and complimentary about and I lusted after some of the other attendees cars especially one members 1961 MGA. But my total adoration was reserved for a wonderful E-Type Jag in the workshop. But I digress...
After that I went over to Bakers Hobby Supply in Waite Park. A true local Hobby shop. Carrying something for many types of craft and hobby with a growing model railway section so I picked up some trees and fine leaf foliage for the layout. I can't say enough about supporting your local hobby shop. Yes the internet offers you great deals and cheap prices but sometimes it's just better and more fun to go to your LHS and talk and buy. Talking to the owner today he expressed an interest in me displaying Gonou, my T scale layout in his shop. I would certainly be interested in taking him up on that offer. If that could get more people interested in the hobby then great. People today need creative hobbies instead of playing with their X-station-Playbox360's to my mind.
Next trip was to Michaels, the craft superstore. I needed a new hot wire foam cutter the one I bought from them 12 years ago died a death recently and I needed a new one to shape the foam on the layout for the ground.
Twelve years ago I paid $1.99 for a cutter in a closing down sale. It was no more than a cardboard tube to hold the batteries with a cutting frame attached. This one cost me a whopping $9.99! But at least it has a plastic tube to hold the batteries and a proper on-off switch. Better than paying $40-50 for the woodland scenics mains powered one.
There were are lots of stuff bought and lots to do. I still have to catch up on todays Indian Premier League Twenty20 cricket yet too...

No comments:

Post a Comment