Thursday, April 14, 2011

One step forward...

... two steps back.
Well probably no more than one step back, perhaps just a trip and stumble but I digress.
The other day the Chooch flexible stone arrived. Just one look at it and I was really impressed. I was fired up and wanted to get it on the bridge abutments there and then.
But as things progressed with the material I began to realise that perhaps things wouldn't be all that perfect.
The finish on the material is excellent, there is no doubt about that. But the flexibility and the adhesive on the material bothered me, and as I began to cut and stick it to the styrene my worries grew. The material is flexible yes. But It didn't want to go around all the right angled corners and steps on my abutments. Then there was the adhesive. Sticky, no doubt. Tacky might be a better word. It didn't want to hold the material in place. It slid about a lot and sure enough when I went back to the abutment I'd covered the next day. This was the sight that greeted me
Not good.
Perhaps If I'd put a coat od primer paint on the styrene...
Not to worry. I'm currently building new abutments out of card. The material seems to stick better to that.
Those are currently setting at the moment I'll probably get to cover them this weekend.

3 comments:

  1. What if, instead of bending it around the corners, you cut it into pieces to fit each "face" of the piers? Since this is Z scale, you could easily hide the corner joints with something as simple as black chalk dust. Maybe paint the styrene underneath black as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tracy beat me to it. Corners are corners; bends are different. I'd definitely cut the material in flat parts and piece them together.

    ReplyDelete