Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Bridge

The bridge, as it turns out is the most important part of the layout both as a scenic feature and the construction. I can't really begin the construction of the layout until I've made the bridge. I don't know how high above the water level the rail level will be until I've made the bridge. So I can't work on the ground contours. All construction hinges around the bridge. So I'd better get building. Tonight I took a look at it to try and work out how it will go together to suit my purpose.
Above: This is the bridge as it comes, a very nice simple kit. The sides fit on the side of the roadbed track thanks to some sturdy locating pins.
Above: This is how I want the bridge to look with the girders underneath. A slight issue is that the girders are not flat topped or bottomed. You can see in this picture that they are stepped slightly. But I can hide the uppermost surface when I fix the girders underneath the roadbed track and assume that the lower surface won't be as noticeable when it is assembled.
Add a new deck and railings out of styrene and "Bob's your Uncle!" A bridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment