Sunday, March 20, 2011

Happy Birthday honey! Here's a field trip for you

'Tis my Birthday today, (you don't need to know how old) and to celebrate my wife took me away to Duluth/Superior for the weekend.
Saturday was a truly wonderful day weather-wise and after a visit to the scenic Gooseberry falls we stopped at the Knife River Bridge so I could take some photographs for the project.
Above: This shows the decking arrangement quite clearly.
Above: The Centre Pier. A nice big piece of driftwood there.
Above: The Northern Abutment, flippin' dead bush manages to catch the point of focus rather than the bridge abutment. Not to worry though...
Above: The Southern Abutment it seems essentially identical to the Northern one (and why wouldn't it be?)
Above: Overall view of the bridge. Even in the Winter this is a beautiful scene.
OK. So those pictures should be enough to see me thought the job. Being the winter I could not get the other side of the bridge for reference shots. The campground was closed. But I have found shots of the lakeward side of the bridge online.
I still think that the Micro Trains bridge might be a good starting point for the project as I could cover the bridge ties (sleepers) with .010 styrene or similar, add some check rails and other bits and I'd be sorted for a starter project. We're not going for scale accuracy here, just something that feels like the scene.

4 comments:

  1. That should be a neat little project...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little being the operative word...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiny little pun intended, of course...

    ReplyDelete
  4. As an alternative to basing a Micro-Trains bridge, you may want to have a look at the Micron Art deck girder bridge kit, available from Anthony.

    ReplyDelete